Thursday, September 15, 2011

As a Lamb

I don't think it's possible to fully appreciate comfort until you're at a place where you need it and you can't find it. It's like a warm, fleecy blanket. You don't truly appreciate it until fall comes and the air starts to get chilly.

I don't know what it is about today, but it's been one of those days that has me struggling to see the bright side of things. I'm worn out from late nights and exerting so much of my energy into the work we do at Mission. I'm feeling ill-equipped for certain things that are drawing nearer on my calender, much like a paddle-boater feels as it heads towards a waterfall.

"Don't worry! God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called!" Yes, that's true; my Bible's gone missing though. Considering the fact that I'm now a middle school small-group leader, I think the Bible is the silver bullet in my gun belt. I may have a vast array of tools and templates, but these kids primarily need truth. They're reaching a point in their life when they will have to decide if they will believe for themselves what their parents have taught them since they were old enough to understand.

It's simply been a difficult day.

It's usually on days like today that I keep a box of cookies or a bag of chips near. There's something about nibbling on the snacks that my mom has been warning me away from since before I could talk that brings a bit of comfort. But today there are no cookies. There are no chips. Only a bag of David Sunflower Seeds (Ranch Flavor) that slowly shrivels your tongue as you chomp the 2.5 servings of the over-salted seeds.

Music is the next thing I usually turn to. Give me something mellow. Please hold the big drums and the wild guitars. Even when I find what I'm looking for, it's not good enough. The soothing sound helps for a few minutes, but the restlessness remains and the irritation continues.

I need something. What is there that can smooth these ruffled plumes?

And that's when it happened.

My initial reaction was a deep breath and a feeling of relief. Only seconds later, this was followed by the shaking of my head and the feeling of childishness and stupidity. The words I heard were these:

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.



Of course. How foolish I'd been. No matter how strong the grip of despair may be, or how fierce a problem may appear, it isn't. It isn't strong; it doesn't have the power to overwhelm. It is truly nothing.

Allow me to put it into perspective-- A blossoming artist puts his best effort into a canvas, until it is filled with creativity, originality, and beauty. It is nothing short of a masterpiece. Nevertheless, those in the Mighty Artist's Guild, when they hear about the novice artist, confront him with his work and point out every flaw in his piece and in his style. They make sure he knows his depiction is far from perfect. In their eyes, it's a failure and he's a flunk. The young man, though respecting the opinions of the Great Artists, doesn't allow their words to convince him that he is no good. He isn't in the Artist's Guild, therefore, it is not their expectations that he is trying to meet. He is simply doing what he loves how he knows best.

In the same way, we are not of this world. We may be surrounded by people, but we are only in their midst, not of their midst. Therefore, we're allowed to fail in their eyes. Troubles may come to tear us down, but they are only worldly troubles. No matter how terrible they might seem, they exist only in the world, and it's not matters of this world that should concern us, rather, we should be wary of matters that are of spirit. When it comes to spiritual trials, we are fortunate to have the Spirit- the Holy Spirit- on our side. It is in Him that we draw our strength from and our foundation is set upon. Therefore, we have already won. And if we have already won in the spiritual realm, then we have surely won in the earthly world as well. There are no troubles too great, too hard, or too persistent for us to overcome.

This is the comfort I felt. The truth that He's still up there, somewhere, looking out for me, making sure that I'm never given so much as to truly overwhelm me, just like He promised. This was my fuzzy, fleece blanket; my "comforter" if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment